Forklift Training High Risk
This unit of competency TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck covers the functions required to prepare and operate a forklift truck to meet training and assessment standards for the purposes of certification.
Location188 East St, Rockhampton QLD 4700
Course ScheduleMonday - Wednesday
Delivery ModeFace to Face (max 5 students for full program)
Course Times7.45am to 4.30pm
On successful completion completion participants will receive a Statement of Attainment and Assessment Summary which is required to submit a high risk licence application to WHSQ. The submission for the High Risk Licence is processed via Work Health & Safety Queensland and additional fees will apply upon application to WHSQ.
It is imperative that you discuss with our staff if you require any addition support for reading and writing so that we can cater to your requirements and develop a training plan.
3 day program – TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck
RIIHAN201E Operate a forklift (this unit can be completed in conjunction with the TLILIL0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck, please speak to our staff for course options that suit you)
New Horizons Safety & Training Services recognises that whilst there is a standard set of learning outcomes for this course, the context and environment in which the learning is applied is varied. We will always customise the course to suit your unique workplace requirements. Please ask our staff about alternate training and assessment strategies that can be designed should you have prior experience or knowledge including but not limited to change in course days, disability options, LLN support where applicable, credit transfer/RPL and in house one on one where possible.
Where it is determined by our Trainer that you may require more time on theory or operating a personalised Training Plan will be developed. Below are two options which may be considered if more time is required:
Option 1 Log Book + your workplace
This option is for those who are able to return to their workplace and log hours whilst supervised by a ticketed operator in the workplace.
Option 2 Log Book + NHST warehouse (188 East Street, Rockhampton)
Option 2 is to book time to operate in our purpose build warehouse and log hours with one of our experienced Trainer and Assessors. An additional cost of $30 per 45 minutes training/supervision. Please call us to arrange times to log hours with one of our Trainers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a Forklift Licence to operate Forklift at work?
Yes, WHS require a person operating a forklift to hold the appropriate licence or competency before operating
Does NHST give me my licence at the end of the program?
We as an RTO conduct the training and assessment for the forklift. Once you have finished your program, you can apply for your licence by completing an online application with Work Health and Safety and paying the required fee.
I have an old forklift licence do I need to update it?
Please contact us on (07) 4927 0666 to discuss your options
I completed my training but exceeded the 60 days to apply for my licence with WHS, what do I do?
Please contact us to arrange for re-assessment. WHS require you must apply for your licence within 60 days of completing the training.
I can't operate at all, does that matter?
No, our experienced trainers will help you during your process. If you require more time or do not feel confident, NHST will cater for your needs
The topics covered throughout this training course are as follows:
- Planning the work for the prevailing working conditions
- Using the controls and operating systems to manage the operation of the equipment
- Locating the load and identifying the load characteristics
- Safely moving the load
- Monitoring the controls
- Stopping, shutting down and securing the equipment after the completion of operation
Pathway Option 1: Full Program
Pathway Option 2: Start-up + Work placement Log Book
Option 1: Full Program
Full 3 Day Course
1. Theory/Start-up training – Day 1
2. Supervised practical training at NHST – logbook hours (supervision will be provided by the instructor) and Supplementary Assessment (theory and practical) – Day 2
3. NAI Assessment – theory and practical components (this can only be attempted if the instructor has deemed you ready for assessment) Please note you will be required to complete the National Assessment Instrument issued by Safework independently without assistance in accordance with the assessor guidelines issued by WHS – Day 3
Please note this National Assessment requires you to be able to read, write and calculate independently. Please contact us if you have any concerns address this criteria.
Option 2: Partial – Start-Up, Workplace Logbook, Final Assessment
Start-up Training (1 day) + Workplace Training (log book) + 1 day Final Assessment Day:
- Initial training by New Horizons Safety and Training Services (1 day) – You will then be issued with a Workplace Log Book for completion in your workplace.
- Supervised hours (under a licensed operator) operating the machine. These hours must be documented into the official Log Book that will be issued by your New Horizons trainer/instructor. One your supervisor deems you ready for assessment you can contact NHST to organise your final assessment. Please note that before sitting the assessment you will need to be challenge tested by our High Risk Assessor to deem that you are ready for assessment. This is approximately a 1.5 hours completed prior to your assessment day.
- Final assessment Day (1 day) – will be conducted once your log book requirements have been finished and you have been deemed competent by your work supervisor (This will be a 1 day final assessment where the NAI Assessment and Supplementary Assessment are conducted which is both theory and practical)
About Log Books (For Option 2)
After the 1 day initial training, your instructor will issue you with a log book that will include a set number of tasks that you will need to perform under the supervision of a licenced forklift operator. The logbook requirements can be undertaken in your workplace or any place where a forklift is available providing supervision is also available.
The Forklift ticket covers you to operate a forklift with an engine capacity of more than 2 litres.
On successful completion of the course you will receive a Workplace Health & Safety High Risk National Licence (after your application has been processed by WHSQ) or in the case of a Black Coal mining qualification, a Statement of Attainment that is a nationally recognised for this machine.
Student will have 6 months to return the log book and complete the Final Assessment
- Must be over the age of 18 to complete a National High Risk Assessment Program
- Photo identification and 100 points of ID must be provided on the day your program commences (please call us to discuss acceptable identification options) preferred evidence collected is Drivers Licence or Passport and Medicare and Bank card (must have your full name on card)
- Be able to read and write English atleast to a Level 3 (A LLN assessment tool is required on enrolment and must be declared if you need support. Where it is determined that your require additional support, this program may be altered and a training plan developed for your needs). NHST are here to help! So please contact our staff to discuss your learning needs.
Dress Requirements / Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
It is the responsibility of course participants to acquire their own safety and protective clothing which includes:
- Hi-Visibility Shirt
- Long Pants
- Steel Cap Safety Boots
No entry to the NHST training facility unless mandatory PPE is worn by the participants. Failure to comply will result in a forfeit of fees paid.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
This training program requires reading, writing and numeracy skills to a Level 2 of the framework.
Prior to enrolling please contact New Horizons Safety and Training Services to discuss our support services if required.
Participants will be required to answer the short LLN assessment in the enrolment form to enable us to evaluate your LLN level.
Please note for High Risk courses, WHS mandate assessment and all questions must be attempted independently and without assistance. All calculations must be completed via written response only.
If you require the assessment to be delivered verbally, you will need to discuss this with our friendly staff and we can make arrangements.
Examples of LLN requirements participants will need to demonstrate include:
- Complete written & calculation assessment
- Identify & confirm task work orders with relevant people
- Follow work plan inline with procedures
- Complete logbook entries for Forklift
- Record Forklift damage & defects
- Interpreted & follow communication signal
Your Rights and Responsibilities
It is a requirement of the Australian Skills and Qualification Authority (ASQA) that students be made aware of their rights and responsibilities prior to enrolling into any of our training courses at New Horizons Safety and Training Services.
Your rights and responsibilities can be found in our Participant Information Handbook.\
Learners will be required to provide their Unique Student Identifier prior to the commencement of the course (usi.gov.au to register).
You will have 60 days (from the assessment date) to lodge your AS1 online form online. Please note an AS1 form can not be released without payment being made in full. Where you fail to lodge your AS1 in 60 days you will be required to resit the theory and practical NAI assessment.
Please visit https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/licensing-and-registrations/work-health-and-safety-licences/apply-renew-or-replace-licences/apply-for-a-high-risk-work-licence for more information.
Recognised Prior Learning (RPL)
If you feel you have the required skills, past experience or qualifications that should be recognised as part of this program, then please mention this to our friendly staff to discuss your options.
Credit Transfer is a process that provides students with agreed and consistent credit outcomes for units/qualifications that can be identified as equivalent in content. Please discuss this option upon enrolment if you feel your learning outcome can be matched with a current unit or qualification you may already hold.
Upon successful completion of the forklift program participants may want to look at possibly studying further into a Certificate II or III. Crediting this unit maybe an option depending on the packaging rules.
Payment for this program is required when you enrol:
Option 1: 3 Day Program $650.00
Day 1 : Start-up (1 day) $300.00
Return for Final Assessment (1 day) $300.00
- Credit Card/EFT
Please note payment in full is required on enrolment for this program. This amount will not be refunded where the participant does to attend the program or fails to give more than 2 working days notice. If you wish to change dates, you will need to give sufficient notice or money will not be reallocated to a new date. Please read our terms and conditions and participant handbook before enrolling.