This course covers the functions required to prepare and operate varies earth moving machinery.
LocationLocation by request
Course ScheduleUpon Request
Delivery ModeFace to Face
Course Times7:45am - 4:00pm
This course is designed to give participants theory and practical training on the operations for earthmoving equipment for both mining and civil construction industries. All training is conducted on-site as the practical operations must be carried out in a live environment and should include appropriate resources to conduct observations and apply site safety principles and procedures.
The candidate must provide us access to the machine to conduct the training and the machine must in be sound condition and comply with manufacturer guidelines and specifications. NHST do not currently have the machinery on-site.
The objective of each training course is to equip participants with a sound overview and practical experience of how work should be carried out on a mine/civil site. This includes general knowledge regarding site activities as well as machine operations which is designed to give participants theory and practical training on the operation of the specified machinery.
On successful completion of this training course, candidates will be issued with a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment (units outlined on program structure page)
Frequently Asked Questions
Does NHST have access to the machinery?
No, we offer this program as a start-up and log book option. The learner will need to have access to the machine to conduct the final assessment.
Do you train at our workplace?
Yes, if you have the resources available we can conduct training onsite, call us for a quote.
Do you need an attainment to operate on site?
Yes, to meet quality management standards you should ensure you are trained and assessed (hold a Statement of Attainment) before operating machinery.
I know how to operate, do I still need to do the full course?
We have options of CT, RPL and Challange Testing where you can demonstrate your previous experience. Please call us to discuss your options.
The units available at NHST are
- RIIMPO338D Conduct rigid haul truck operations***
- RIIMPO337D Conduct articulated haul truck operations****
- RIIMPO319D Conduct backhoe/loader operations****
- CIVIL – RIIMPO317E Conduct roller operations****
- MINING – RIIMPO304D Conduct wheel loader operations****
- CIVIL – RIIMPO321E Conduct civil construction wheeled front end loader operations****
- MINING – RIIMPO301D Conduct hydraulic excavator operations****
- CIVIL – RIIMPO320E Conduct civil construction excavator operations***
- MINING – RIIMPO310E Conduct grader operations
- CIVIL – RIIMPO324E Conduct civil construction grader operations
Pathway: Start-up + Log Book
Start-Up Theory – One Day
The candidate will conduct a one day theory training component in order to obtain a log book for workplace operating. Please note, NHST do not currently have access to the machinery. This course option can be offered in house or at your workplace. Once you have logged hours whilst being supervised by an accredited operator, you can return to NHST to sit a final assessment consisting of a Theory Assessment and Practical Skills Observation (please note you will need to obtain access to the machinery for the Practical Skills Observation).
General Course Topics
The topics covered throughout these training program are as follows:
- Personal safety equipment
- Communication systems
- Emergency procedures
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Work Orders and Instructions
- Acts and Regulations
- Safety Procedures and Instructions (Operating Manuals, MSDS etc.)
- Safe boarding procedures
- Typical alarm and warning systems
- Pre-start checks
- General operating of the haul truck
- Effective use of braking systems
- Operating on roads and ramps
- Loading procedures
- Dumping procedure
- Parking and shut down procedures
- Brake failures
- Loss of power and or function
- Wet conditions
- Tyre blow outs
- Communications in emergency situations
- Dealing with shift handovers, briefings, records and reports etc.
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment
**** This unit is superseded and currently under teach out. The unit will be updated in 2019 ”
New Horizons Safety & Training Services recognises that whilst there is a standard set of learning outcomes for this course, the context and environment in which the learning is applied is varied. We will always customise the course to suit your unique workplace requirements. Please ask our staff about alternate training and assessment strategies that can be designed should you have prior experience or knowledge including but not limited to change in course days, disability options, LLN support where applicable, credit transfer/RPL and in house one on one where possible.
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy Questionnaire and Enrolment Form must be completed.
- This training program requires basic reading, writing and numeracy skills.
- Prior to enrolling please contact New Horizons Safety and Training Services to discuss our support services if required.
- Photo identification to be provided on the day your program commences.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
It is a requirement of the Australian Skills and Qualification Authority (ASQA) that students be made aware of their rights and responsibilities prior to enrolling into any of our training courses at New Horizons Safety and Training Services.
Your rights and responsibilities can be found in our Participant Information Handbook.
Learners will be required to provide their Unique Student Identifier prior to the commencement of the course (usi.gov.au to register)
Recognised Prior Learning (RPL)
If you feel you have the required skills, past experience or qualifications that should be recognised as part of this program, then please mention this to our friendly staff to discuss your options. NHST do have a challenge test option for students who have previous experience and can provide evidence.
Credit Transfer is a process that provides students with agreed and consistent credit outcomes for units/qualifications that can be identified as equivalent in content. Please discuss this option upon enrolment if you feel your learning outcome can be matched with a current unit or qualification you may already hold
Prices may varying depending on your requirements.
Please contact our friendly staff to discuss payment options, fees and funding.
Payment plans not available for this program.